Helping Paws works with purebred Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers because of their natural desire to work with people, their retrieving instinct, their ease of care, and their friendly dispositions. Puppies come from our breeding program .
We require hereditary clearances and health history of each puppy's sire and dam. Our breeding dogs live with caretaker homes that whelp and raise the litter making sure that the puppies are off to a good start before being placed with foster home trainers when the puppies are between 7-12 weeks of age. With each individual puppy we look for willingness, response to environmental stimuli, retrieving instinct and general trainability.
The breeding program includes:
- Selection or purchase of breeding females.
- Selection of sires for the litters.
- Veterinary care for the dam.
- Pre-whelping and veterinary care for the first eight weeks of the new litter.
- Whelping and care of the litter.